This soundtracks comes to you from a 1998 comedy film, The Big Lebowski, written and directed by Joel & Ethan Coen starring Jeff Bridges. The tracklist includes 14 songs by the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Nina Simone, Captain Beefheart & more.
The Coen Brothers' 1998 film noir spoof, The Big Lebowski, with Jeff Bridges' shaggy title character, –The Dude," has gained a fervent following, complete with annual conventions, where phrases like –The Dude will abide" have entered the vernacular. With the Coens' typical care and love of music they demonstrated throughout their diverse career, The Big Lebowski soundtrack has become just as much of a cult classic as the film itself.
Album highlights include songs accompanying a trio of bowling scenes: Bob Dylan's New Morning track, –The Man In Me" over the title credits, the Busby Berkeley influenced psychedelia of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition's –Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition is In") and the Gypsy Kings' redefining take on the Eagles' –Hotel California," as John Turturro licks his bowling ball.
LP Track Listings:
1. The Man In Me (Bob Dylan)
2. Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles (Captain Beefheart)
3. My Mood Swings (Elvis Costello)
4. Ataypura (Yma Sumac)
5. Traffic Boom (Piero Piccioni)
6. I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good (Nina Simone)
7. Stamping Ground (Moondog)
8. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) (Kenny Rogers & The First Edition)
1. Walking Song (Meredith Monk)
2. Gluck Das Mir Verblieb - from Die tote Stadt (lona Steingruber, Anton Dermota and the Austrian State Radio Orchestra)
3. Lujon (Henry Mancini)
4. Hotel California (The Gipsy Kings)
5. Technopop (Carter Burwell)
6. Dead Flowers (Townes van Zandt)