–What you see is nothing less than David Letterman, Monty Python, SNL, and 30 Rock all rolled into one. A+" - Ken Tucker, Entertainment Weekly
A comedian unlike any other, Ernie Kovacs' unique comedic style was not only evident in his own performances, but continued to influence countless comedians and television shows well after his early passing in 1962. A constant innovator, Kovacs was always looking for new gags, characters or situations to invigorate his comedy, much of which had never been seen before on television.
The Ernie Kovacs Collection includes six DVD's and over 13 hours of programs that span the all-too-brief but brilliant television career of this hugely influential comic artist, from his earliest local morning shows in Philadelphia through his NBC prime-time shows and the ABC specials that represented the peak of his offbeat humor and creative experimentation with the medium. This package is a treasure trove of comedy from television's original genius, most of it unseen for over 50 years.
Disc 1: The Early Years
Disc 2: The NBC Morning Shows
Disc 3: The NBC Evening Shows
Disc 4: The Late 1950s
Disc 5: The ABC Specials
Disc 6: Classic Pieces
BONUS MATERIAL: each disc has a wealth of extrasÄ.some highlights include:
« 1987 ATAS Hall of Fame Induction for Ernie, with Carl Reiner, Jack Lemmon, and Edie Adams
« Remembering Ernie with George Schlatter and Jolene Brand
« Kovacs' celebrated Making of "Baseball" Film includes incredibly rare, behind-the-scenes color footage
« The Mysterious Knockwurst _ spy spoof short film
« Andy McKay 8mm Home Movies _ includes fascinating behind-the-scenes silent footage of Kovacs working on his Philadelphia television show
« Bonus skits from Ernie's NBC morning shows, including Percy Dovetonsils, Ode to Stanley's Pussycat, Martin Krutch, Public Eye, Howard, the World's Strongest Ant s and J. Burlington Gearshift
« Special effects test for the Superclod skit
« Fun interactive selections of filmed "clue" sets from Ernie's Take A Good Look panel game show
« Ernie's celebrated Dutch Master cigar commercials
« Trailer for Operation Mad Ball and a promotional teaser for It Happened to Jane entitled, It Happened to Ernie
6-DVD set that provides an excellent overview of Ernie Kovacs visionary television shows _ most of it unseen for over 50 years!
- Six DVDs _ over 13 hours of programs comprising the only surviving masters of his work
- Full discs devoted to his local and national morning shows as well as his prime-time efforts, including the legendary silent special, Eugene
- An episode of his truly offbeat game show, Take a Good Look, is also featured, as well as a sampling of his brilliant commercials for Dutch Masters cigars
- A treasure trove of supplemental material, from 8mm home movies and short films to a collection of Edie Adams's sultry spots for Muriel Cigars
- 44-page booklet featuring rare photos, program notes and new essays.
Original Price: $69.97 USD